Rising a D4114ST Givi Windshield over the stock limit - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Rising a D4114ST Givi Windshield over the stock limit

Hello guys, I'm a tall guy (6'5") that has a 2016 650 and decided to buy a D4114ST Givi windshield after I had buffeting and noise problems with the stock windshield. I partially resolved them with the Givi windshield, but as soon as I get to higher speeds ( 70 - 80 km/h) the noise starts killing my ears again. If I lower my head just a little bit, the noise disappears and I can hear my bike's engine sound as well.

So my question is: do you guys think I'll have problems with aerodynamics or anything like that if I raise my D4114ST Givi windshield over the stock limit? Pic related (I got it from another user in the forum that did the same thing with stock windscreen).

I'm a little scared considering the Givi windscreen has a speed limit of 130 km/h written on it, so I wouldn't want to mess anything up by raising it. By rising it just a tiny bit like that I'm sure I'll be in the bubble of air.

I'm going on a trip with my wife on the bike soon, and I'd like to enjoy it without my ears dying and if possible without having to wear earplugs, that's why I'd like to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160213_0001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	100738  
Italianbiker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 204
Garage
I know what you mean, but I'm not sure if that is safe or not. It feels ok, doesn't it? I've had it that high before by mistake and it felt tight.

Have you considered a windscreen flip / extender? Like the MRA X-screen? I used one (a different one) on my last bike and really liked it.
https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA...Deflector.html
zirconx is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconx View Post
I know what you mean, but I'm not sure if that is safe or not. It feels ok, doesn't it? I've had it that high before by mistake and it felt tight.

Have you considered a windscreen flip / extender? Like the MRA X-screen? I used one (a different one) on my last bike and really liked it.
https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/MRA...Deflector.html
I have considered it, but I'd like to know if I'll be fine with raising the windshield I already have before buying something else, I'd like to save the 60 bucks if I can
Italianbiker is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 12,348
Do you wear ear-plugs?

I recommend them, especially IF you DON'T want your hearing to go away....
quexpress likes this.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Do you wear ear-plugs?

I recommend them, especially IF you DON'T want your hearing to go away....
I'll consider them sooner or later.
Italianbiker is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 454
If you need a couple of more inches of height I would opt for the "extender". I think doing it the way you suggest might weaken the shield (not as much support at the mounting point). Cracking a $117 shield would really irritate me.

I just installed the same shield on my 2015 and I haven't tested it yet but with the shield all the way down I'm just barely looking over the top (it's right at eye level). It might just be a bit tall for my 5' 9" body. We'll see......
Duffy is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
If you need a couple of more inches of height I would opt for the "extender". I think doing it the way you suggest might weaken the shield (not as much support at the mounting point). Cracking a $117 shield would really irritate me.

I just installed the same shield on my 2015 and I haven't tested it yet but with the shield all the way down I'm just barely looking over the top (it's right at eye level). It might just be a bit tall for my 5' 9" body. We'll see......
I wonder if there's a safe way to test this... should I be looking for too much bending of the windshield, or what?

These go for like 65 in Italy by the way
Italianbiker is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianbiker View Post
I wonder if there's a safe way to test this... should I be looking for too much bending of the windshield, or what?

These go for like 65 in Italy by the way
If you look at the mount point as a "lever arm" you can see how the stress will be re-distributed from an even amount on both screw holes to more on the bottom and less on the top. Don't know for sure how the average backyard mechanic could measure that.

I actually was a bit concerned when I saw Givi's warning about speed limited to 130 KPM. That's only 80 MPH and I get up over that easily passing a vehicle. I'll have to keep an eye out for stress cracks.
Duffy is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
If you look at the mount point as a "lever arm" you can see how the stress will be re-distributed from an even amount on both screw holes to more on the bottom and less on the top. Don't know for sure how the average backyard mechanic could measure that.

I actually was a bit concerned when I saw Givi's warning about speed limited to 130 KPM. That's only 80 MPH and I get up over that easily passing a vehicle. I'll have to keep an eye out for stress cracks.
I'm sure getting to 130km/h for short periods of time won't be a problem for the screen.

Gonna try raising it over the stock limit today and see how it goes, I thought I'd find someone else that did it before me here but no luck. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

EDIT: I did it, sound is way better and no problems whatsoever, let's hope it will stay the same in the long run.

Last edited by Italianbiker; 11-02-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Italianbiker is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 454
I just did a 130 mile test ride with the new screen. First half in the "down" position and then raised it about 1/3 and went about 20 miles before deciding the wind wasn't any better and I don't like looking through the screen. Dropped it down for the rest of the ride and that's where it will stay.

Much less wind buffeting with this screen vice the OEM one. Not as calm as being behind a batwing with a medium shield but I would recommend one for the Versys.
Duffy is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I just did a 130 mile test ride with the new screen. First half in the "down" position and then raised it about 1/3 and went about 20 miles before deciding the wind wasn't any better and I don't like looking through the screen. Dropped it down for the rest of the ride and that's where it will stay.

Much less wind buffeting with this screen vice the OEM one. Not as calm as being behind a batwing with a medium shield but I would recommend one for the Versys.
How tall are you? And are you still looking through the screen in the low pos?
CreatureCore is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureCore View Post
How tall are you? And are you still looking through the screen in the low pos?
I'm 5'9" and after a couple of hours of riding my posture is horrible. I've got a back belt now and it helps me with the posture. I just barely see over the top of the shield (in the low position) and it works for now. The first time riding in the rain will tell if the low position works.
Duffy is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 12,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I'm 5'9" and after a couple of hours of riding my posture is horrible. I've got a back belt now and it helps me with the posture. I just barely see over the top of the shield (in the low position) and it works for now. The first time riding in the rain will tell if the low position works.
After checking it out, you can always remove an inch or so from the top....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 03:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 454
Yep, have band saw and can cut. Did it a number of times on the Vulcan.
Duffy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome