Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

New foot pegs (PICS)

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  bigaussie 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased new foot pegs from Twisted Throttle. They are a huge improvement over my stock ones. The rubber on my stockers fell apart very quickly due to the way I use the left one to step up on while I swing my leg over. The twisting of my boot tore the rubber almost immediately upon buying the bike. The new pegs are heavy duty and have a removable center solid rubber and steel insert. Plus they can be installed in two different positions. Stock height or can be lowered 15mm. I lowered mine and the 15mm makes a noticeable improvement in comfort. Knees are slightly less bent. Anyway check out the pictures they really do show the quality difference.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I was really surprised at the cost, my only concern is I have large size 12 boots, I lowered the foot peg using Speedy lowering,no more trouble shifting, but those have a larger footprint, and in reality the lowered position appears to be the standard height of the OEM, hard to tell from the pictures.
Thanks for posting!

#3 · (Edited)
I saw those the last time I was at twisted throttle to get my rear rack but kept choking on the price. I wound up finding these at Kapsco Moto and figured it was a good option for a thrifty guy with kids. They are for a Tw200 but I shaved less than a mm off one side with a grinder and they fit perfect.
https://www.kapscomoto.com/product_p/fp003.htm
Funny enough, if you live in the US it's free shipping. I live 1.5 hours and it cost me 6 bucks.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Looks great! I wish you guys would stop posting this stuff! I keep seeing things that now I have to get!!

Reactions: oliverider
#7 ·
#12 · (Edited)
Ravetech bash plate

I installed the Ravetech plate a few months ago on my Gen 2. The plate itself is aluminum and the 2 mounting brackets are steel, all powder coated black. I would say the construction is robust, and I've seen the Motech bash plate and would say it's not better, though some would disagree. I particularly don't like the point on the front of the Motech plate, it seems destined to hit something hard where - in theory - the Ravetech might slide over the same obstacle.

There are 3 instances where I have miscalculated my route on rock-laden hillsides and landed on the plate, and while the plate itself had a couple minor dings, the rear bracket buckled at the bend - which is where you would expect it to bend - and no damage was done to the bike at all. It did not contact the engine, exhaust or oil filter. One hit was almost dead on the oil drain, and I suspect the Ravetech plate prevented a long walk home. Once home, I simply removed the plate and rear bracket, pounded out the dents and re-aligned the mount, and all back together and fine. I realize I subject the plate (and the bike) to greater loads that it is probably designed for, so far without permanent or expensive damage.

This is not a full-bike-weight skid plate, but none are for the Versys.

As for the specific question about oil changes, the plate itself must be removed, but the brackets cause no obstruction. There are 4 button head socket bolts holding it on, easily accessed.

One complaint I have is that the socket head fasteners on the rear mount were hit on the rocks, and it peened over one of the heads so I couldn't get the hex wrench in the socket to remove it, and a button head is not conducive to removal with pliers, especially glued in. I have replaced those fasteners with 10.9 hex head bolts so when peened again, I should still be able to get a wrench on the flats.

FYI, it mounts on the lower rear and front engine mounts. I also have GIVI crash bars, which share these mounting locations, so fitting was a little tricky. The plate did come with a variety of spacers, so not a big deal.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ravetech bash plate, and IMO it looks better than the Motech as well as allowing the belly plastics to stay on, which looks cool. It came with all necessary mounting hardware, but took 3 weeks from Thailand. Any other questions, happy to help.

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks Iceman and Joe

I am planning a multi-day back road ride this summer WABDR

I am on a tight budget so am tossing up between prevention that may not be needed and possible after repairs / halting the ride.

I have done quite a bit of forest road / dual track riding and haven't needed it so far.

I currently have 90/10 tires (Avon TrailRider) but will go 60/40 or 50/50 in the Spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.