R1 Shock Transplant.. - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
That's good!
In your case, you had a shock with 12 mm holes which are bigger than your frame bolts (10 mm). In this case, it's the opposite way around. The R1 shock mount holes (10 mm) need to be modified (enlarged) to accept the larger Versys frame bolts (12 mm).
Sorry I actually re-read what I posted and it did not quite come out right. The top mount of the 250 is the same as the Versys situation, GSX-R shock is 10mm id bushing and 250 was 12mm. I used the 10mm GSXR bolt and had two bushings to sleeve up the the parts of the bolt that go into the frame (shock mount). It would be the same on the Versys. The bolt as it passes through the frame is a sleeved, the bolt as it passes through the shock bushing is un-sleeved.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkynrk View Post
Sorry I actually re-read what I posted and it did not quite come out right. The top mount of the 250 is the same as the Versys situation, GSX-R shock is 10mm id bushing and 250 was 12mm. I used the 10mm GSXR bolt and had two bushings to sleeve up the the parts of the bolt that go into the frame (shock mount). It would be the same on the Versys. The bolt as it passes through the frame is a sleeved, the bolt as it passes through the shock bushing is un-sleeved.
Well done!
That could work for the bottom bolt (bolt & nut) but I can't see that for the top bolt because it threads directly into the frame.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,
Ö and itís the youngest Iím ever going to get.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Well done!
That could work for the bottom bolt (bolt & nut) but I can't see that for the top bolt because it threads directly into the frame.
10-4. Having not done a rear shock swap on the Versys yet I didn't realize that about the top bolt. Good info.
quexpress likes this.

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Well done!
It shouldn't be that big a deal to have someone make you a shoulder bolt for the top. You just need to be sure when they turn & thread the end that they relieve any sharp internal corners

I apologize...got my thinking backwards shoulder bolt won't work.

Last edited by BLACK DOG; 10-05-2016 at 01:50 PM.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 PM

Has anyone found a proper spring for the R-1 damper?
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. Both of mine 'wear' a 13.8kg/mm spring from Racetech. (I'm 180# 'soaking-wet' - PLUS ATGATT.) Some are now using the OEM Versys springs, or those from another Kawi cruiser....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-12-2016 at 10:55 AM.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:50 AM

NA6901 bearing source - quality spec?

Quote:
It's a NBS needle bearing NA6901 (outside diameter = 24 mm, inside diameter of sleeve= 12 mm, width = 22 mm
Quexpress - do you have a source for this bearing? It seems a generic dimensional spec. You can find them all over, the quality appears to vary a lot - at least according to price range of $4 to $50 + shipping.

I don't have a relationship with a local machine shop, wouldn't know where to start...

Thanks for figuring this out, gents!
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Yes. Both of mine 'wear' a 13.8kg/mm spring from Racetech. (I'm 180# 'soaking-wet' - PLUS ATGATT.) Some are now using the OEM Versys springs, or those from another Kawi cruiser....
Yamaha Roadstar or Roadstar Warrior

I just shuffle slower.

Note: I have no time to waste because Iím older at this moment than Iíve ever been before,

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 12-12-2016 at 10:56 AM.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Joe View Post
Quexpress - do you have a source for this bearing? It seems a generic dimensional spec. You can find them all over, the quality appears to vary a lot - at least according to price range of $4 to $50 + shipping.
I purchased mine at a local bearing supplier. Check your local bearing and seal suppliers. You can choose whatever quality you want.

Quote:
I don't have a relationship with a local machine shop, wouldn't know where to start...
Looks like you will need to do some shopping to find a machinist that you can trust.
You'll also need to know a shop who has the required spring compressor and can swap the spring for you.

Quote:
Thanks for figuring this out, gents!

I just shuffle slower.

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Garage
the spring is just a 2.25X7, readily available in whatever rate you want to use. again, for reference, the OEM Versys spring is 900#/in or 16kg/mm, same thing. yes, the OEM Versys spring will fit the R1, although it may need to be clearanced slightly on one end to fit the R1 collar.

if using a spring from another bike, you need to research the spring rate to know what you're buying, it may not be suitable for your weight or intended use.

there's more than one way to handle the simple modifications to both ends of the R1 shock, a little reading will determine which is best for you.

post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
CORRECTION to this: the springs are EIBACH, and were supplied thru Racetech.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:59 AM

Garage
Quote:
Yes. Both of mine 'wear' a 13.8kg/mm spring from Racetech. (I'm 180# 'soaking-wet' - PLUS ATGATT.)...
i don't know how you get by with a 13.8, you might be 180#, but then you add another 180# of junk every time you go camping. you must try to wind the preload clean off the shock.

just kiddin' Eduardo, all that stuff on the bike doesn't look like it weighs a pound more than 150.

post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
i don't know how you get by with a 13.8, you might be 180#, but then you add another 180# of junk every time you go camping. you must try to wind the preload clean off the shock.

just kiddin' Eduardo, all that stuff on the bike doesn't look like it weighs a pound more than 150.
OTOH - MY 180 + 150 = 330#, which is STILL less than the "Rat Bike" rider, one-up, but NAKED otherwise...!

Ed

..)

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-31-2017, 12:32 AM

I wonder, now that I have Speedy's lowering link installed and the front tubes raised...can I still swap in a R1 rear shock?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode