Center Stand for Gen 3? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Center Stand for Gen 3?

I just looked at a 4 page "discussion" that several people had back in January 2016, concerning the SW Motech Center stand. It looks like nothing was agreed upon.

I have read that SW Motech suggests cutting the lower fairing to install the Center Stand, and then I read an article that states they did not cut or modify their fairing and the center stand worked fine.

Is there a Center Stand that properly fits a Gen. 3 Versys (2015- 2016), and works properly?

I would expect that an Accessory that cost $306 would not have as much controversy.

Does anyone else make a center stand for this bike?

Dave
IBA #44
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 PM

Garage
I think its one of those things where they suggest you do it, but the tolerances might be close enough that you don't need to? The other issue with that center stand is that it interferes with the sidestand. I think you have to put the side stand down to be able to retract the center stand. Sounds like a hassle.

Hepco & Becker also makes a center stand for the gen3. I posted about it a week ago.

I agree, for that price the center stand should work perfectly. Maybe that will happen on the gen4.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 02:45 AM

Motorcyclist installed a SW-Motech center stand on the gen 3 Versys long term test bike they had. They reported that although the instructions said to trim the lower fairing, it wasn't required. FWIW, the previous owner installed a SW-Motech center stand on the SV 650 I bought, and there was the same side stand interference. I didn't know that was abnormal, since it was my first bike and the only one I've ever had with a center stand. I would always put the side stand down before getting off the bike anyway, then deploy the center stand. Once I remounted, I'd roll off of the center stand then put the side stand up.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 03:51 PM

I just installed a Hepco & Becker centerstand, no problem with the sidestand, easy install.
Bought it for €193.50 euro. But i live in Holland.

Dolle
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolle View Post
I just installed a Hepco & Becker centerstand, no problem with the sidestand, easy install.
Bought it for €193.50 euro. But i live in Holland.
Any chance you`ve got an aftermarket exhaust in combination with the centerstand?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:41 PM

Garage
I just received my Hepco Becker center stand today. It looks impressive - I will try to install it on the weekend and report back. (only worry seems to be how to get the spring on)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 12:32 PM

Garage
Does anyone know if the SW Motech center stand works with a Yoshimura can? 2013 Versys 650.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 06:59 PM

Garage
I managed to install my Hepco & Becker stand.

One problem I had was due to my own ignorance/error. The supplied longer bolts that you replace the footpeg bracket bolts with use a 6 mm allen key, smaller than the 7 or 8 mm one for the stock bolts. I was torquing them to the spec in the manual, but the hex part of the bolt 'stripped'. Afterwards I checked my 6 mm hex socket and it seems slightly looser than the one in the toolkit supplied with the bike, so maybe an equipment problem. The bolts are in there fine, but removing them might be an adventure (I did this on the left side - so it may only be an issue if I want to replace the footpeg (and maybe the chain/sprocket).

Another issue is well documented. As noted here for example:
Anyone tried the Hepco & Becker center stand?
the spring is strong. I managed it after a few failed attempts by following information from another thread here (which I cannot find at the moment) by first attaching the small, inner spring just with vice grips. I was not able to do the same with the larger, outer spring - I got to within about half an inch of attaching it (if you are stronger than me it should be no problem), so I combined pulling with the vise grip with levering the last little bit with a steel bar which got it on. I had my wife hold the bike while I did this as I was worried about a catastrophe if something slipped.

All in all a rewarding experience. It is a solid piece of kit. Here is the pieces prior to installation:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...1&d=1474847707

And the final result:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160925_145613.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	98938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160925_165622.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	98946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160925_165638.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	98954  
maxversys and Palakadir like this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostatic View Post
I just received my Hepco Becker center stand today. It looks impressive - I will try to install it on the weekend and report back. (only worry seems to be how to get the spring on)
Congrats on new HB centerstand! where did you get it from and for how much USD ?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Garage
Thanks maxversys. I got it from the UK distributor Motobins (The Official UK Hepco and Becker Luggage and Accessories website - Index) for 195 pounds after shipping which came out to be 346 Canadian dollars. There is no Canadian distributor that I found and the cost from the US one seemed similar after exchange rate (I was not hit with customs charges, though I did not know if I would be - it seems kind of random to me). Broken down it was 152 pounds plus 42 pounds for shipping (yikes! but still comparable total cost to the alternative). It arrived quicker than they said, just two weeks instead of 3.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 05:36 PM

I've got the SW-Motech Centre stand and didn't trim the fairing. It actually looks quite neat when you haven't trimmed the fairing- it just sits over one of the big pivot bolts. Definitely a non- issue. The weight of it on the other hand. The bloody thing weighs a ton.

I had to be a bit more mindful of what exhaust i was picking to go with it, but the Leo Vince I have fits fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leo_vince_underbody_evoii_exhaust_system_kawasaki_ninja650_rer6_n_zoom.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	111298  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:44 PM

I have the Hepco Stand as well and it works perfectly.

However, there is a part of the stand that makes contact with the chain. You cannot run the bike on center stand and in gear - the chain WILL make contact with the stand.

So now I have resolved myself to adjust my chain ever so slightly every 1500 miles.

A mate who didn;t do this destroyed his chain while riding as it made contact with the hepco stand. He had gone about 3000 miles without a chain slack adjustment.

German design DUH!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:25 PM
FMB

Garage
I realize this may be an odd question, but why the centre stand?

I see my therapist every day. He's Labrador Retriever named Monty.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:09 PM

Garage
Stands for Kawasaki KLE650 Versys | Accessories International

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMB View Post
I realize this may be an odd question, but why the centre stand?
Maintenance, parking, fueling, packing, airing and inspecting tires, lubing/adjusting chain, etc. etc. are all easier with a centre stand. It's been decades since I owned a bike without one; putting one on my Versys soon. Wish the aftermarket stands didn't weigh so much, though.

Last edited by Doug Just Doug; 01-10-2017 at 09:47 AM.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red liner View Post
I have the Hepco Stand as well and it works perfectly.

However, there is a part of the stand that makes contact with the chain. You cannot run the bike on center stand and in gear - the chain WILL make contact with the stand.

So now I have resolved myself to adjust my chain ever so slightly every 1500 miles.

A mate who didn;t do this destroyed his chain while riding as it made contact with the hepco stand. He had gone about 3000 miles without a chain slack adjustment.

German design DUH!
I have a Hepco Becker center stand on my Gen 3. I regularly run the bike on the center stand in gear when I lube my chain. I have had no issues with the chain contacting the stand. I also have had no issues with having to adjust my chain frequently - in fact I have let the chain get loose enough that there is visible slack, and it still does not contact the stand. I have only adjusted my chain twice and my bike has 8500 miles on it. All the miles on my bike are on the street, and I have never cleaned the chain.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Center Stand/ Prop Stand/Level Ground

I don't wish to side track this thread, however I too looked at installing a center stand, too many if's, the price was high, and I came up with a simple and cheap solution.http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...30-post15.html
I posted all this in the How To under prop stands c/w measurements,http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...22-post19.html
So you don't have a top case or side case to store it in, cut it in half, get a smaller square tubing to fit inside, 3 inches long, drill and tap 2 holes and use two 10/24 screws to hold 1 1/2 " of the tubing in the lower half, it is now 8.5" long at the longest of the two pieces.

As to the original thread, it became quite the controversy, and someone got the boot in the process.

So back on track here, if someone wishes to take the steps to document How To, c/w pictures, you will get the privilege of a getting a shiny star in the How To Forum
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:24 AM
FMB

Garage
I made up something similar to onewizard's unit, though not so refined. Now I have a Pack Jack...reasonable cost, light weight and slips away for storage.
onewizard likes this.

I see my therapist every day. He's Labrador Retriever named Monty.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

Pack Jack

Once you have used it, you wonder why you ever thought you needed a center stand, I have been in a situation with the 07, in the middle of a swamp, finding a place that has a slope where I can put the bike on the side stand because I have a flat, got the plugger kit out and compressor , 15 minutes later I am on my way. I keep it in bubble wrap so the aluminum doesn't hit things in the Trekker case. That day I threw everything in the top box to sort out later, mosquitoes were eating me alive
weljo2001 and quexpress like this.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:34 PM

The Pack Jack and the bar stand look like really elegant solutions, especially when you consider how bloody heavy the SWM Centre stand is. However, I'll be happy to have that centre stand when it comes to swap out my shock with an R1 unit...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode