Metzeler Tourance Next - Tires - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Metzeler Tourance Next - Tires

Installed today. After 3 sets of Pilot Roads (3s & 4s) all of which went 16 - 17,000+ kms, I went for something with just a little bit of consideration for gravel roads. These Metz come in stock size and are listed as 90/10 which is pretty much the exact match for the time I split on asphalt/gravel roads. I hope to see the kind of milage I got from the PRs, time will tell.

Always trust your cape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got to try the new skins on some gravel today. It's not night and day, but I can confidently say they feel better in the dirt than the PR3s or PR4s ever did. I also rode several kilometers of grooved pavement under construction and I found that the Metz tracked better on that too.

I hope they get the same good long distance use, but so far, great tires!

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 03:16 PM

Garage
That damn grooved pavement drives me nuts around my place. I also think I ride about that 90/10 split. I hear nothing but good from several places that Metzlers are phenomenal tires. So, i'm certain that the 'Metz are in my future.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Interested how much better they are on slime.

In order to give up the security I enjoy with PR4's on pavement, wet & dry,
I'd need something markedly better on a wet dirt road.

I have no hope for loose gravel. I don't venture off road but I live up a dirt road.
Tough in the rain.
I'd consider a tire switch to bookend the riding season, when my road
is most frequently slimy, maybe November & April (get me thru mud season here in NW VT).
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 04:23 AM

I took my 2012 out yesterday, which I just got. It only has the 1010 miles on it, so the tires are stock. The first thing I noticed was the bike did not behave on mountainous wet roads. The rear end tried to spin out once with even with me trying to drive conservatively. I would never be on gravel roads. What tire should I be using? I do live in the mountains.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac539 View Post
I took my 2012 out yesterday, which I just got. It only has the 1010 miles on it, so the tires are stock. The first thing I noticed was the bike did not behave on mountainous wet roads. The rear end tried to spin out once with even with me trying to drive conservatively. I would never be on gravel roads. What tire should I be using? I do live in the mountains.
So, curvy, hilly wet roads? I think you should check out Michellin Pilot Road 3 0r 4 tires. Great sport touring, long lasting and excellent wet characteristics. My 2 cents.

Always trust your cape.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATYC View Post
So, curvy, hilly wet roads? I think you should check out Michellin Pilot Road 3 0r 4 tires. Great sport touring, long lasting and excellent wet characteristics. My 2 cents.
Thanks
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 09:47 PM

I live in the heart of Appalachia, lots of twisties, lots of slab, some dirt and gravel, and I just switched to Shinko 705's. LOVING them, and they're cheap as hell. Full set shipped was ~$125. They also look sweet..

Last edited by AdventureSeeker; 07-21-2016 at 09:10 AM.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 PM

Garage
Those look a LOT like Shinko 705's. But they do look awesome!
AdventureSeeker likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
I live in the heart of Appalachia, lots of twisties, lots of slab, some dirt and gravel, and I just switched to Shinko 009's. LOVING them, and they're cheap as hell. Full set shipped was ~$125. They also look sweet..
I priced the Michelins installed and the dealer wanted almost $500.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 06:40 AM

Garage
Shinko 705's!

ATYC and Daniel-O like this.

Momma was a Ninja, pappy was a KLR, now it's me Versys the world.

Last edited by unstable_rider; 07-20-2016 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Gagged on PIE
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:06 PM

Garage
I have the 705 120/90F 150/70R combo on the bike. Not sure if I will continue with these style tires or go to a stock size 90/10 like the Trail IIs or Tourance Next
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 AM

Sorry all, they're 705's. I was originally going to order the 009's and then changed my mind and went for the 705's.
unstable_rider likes this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac539 View Post
I priced the Michelins installed and the dealer wanted almost $500.
I pulled my wheels and had them mounted locally for a whopping $10 apiece, as far as home wrenching goes it's incredibly easy to do.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 AM

Garage
That's a steal for mounting fees. I don't mind pulling mine off the bike (in fact I insist on it) and then driving them in with the car and carrying them in someplace to get mounted-up.

It's also that seasonal reminder for me why I am glad I have cast wheels now and NO TUBES. I was always diligent on replacing tubes and rim strips when I replaced tires on the KLR.

I don't miss that aspect at all. The 17" wheels (combined with the oversize Shinkos) work just fine for anything I run into, actually better- as the stock skinny tire of a KLR was prone to diving and dodging in sand.

The fatty 130 Shinko up front on the Versys is a superior experience for me, and I am not convinced I gave anything up in the handling or "fun" department when riding on blacktop.

Momma was a Ninja, pappy was a KLR, now it's me Versys the world.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:01 PM

Dude's also an Amsoil dealer and, if you do buy the oil and the filter from him, he'll do the oil change for free. Not on the bike, unfortunately, but I'm looking at their Euro blend 25,000 mile for my Passat, and I can buy bike oil for about a 5% savings over the Mobil 4T I've been using, so...why not?

Totally lucked into him. His machine makes it super easy to do the tires, never seen one like it. Took him maybe 15 minutes to unmount and remount, and that included getting the 705 rear to re-bead, which was a bit of an issue at first.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 AM

Garage
Update on how these compared to the PR4s?
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkynrk View Post
So far so good.

I've put 2,380 kms on them. I have used them for the intended purpose: a combination of touring, day tripping and commuting with a split of paved road/gravel in the 90/10 range.

On gravel and grooved pavement they are notably better than the PR4s. The front end wobbles less and feels like it tracks straighter and steadier. I ride gravel at higher speeds than I did with the PR3s or 4s.

I rode several hundred kms in the rain. The Pilots were always great wet weather tires and I used them in plenty of heavy rain before. I did not observe any difference - better or worse - riding the Metz on the highway in rainfall.

As for any curvy stuff or good cornering, I still have more confidence in the PR4s. These Metzelers perform well, I'm able to get good leans, have not felt any loss of traction, but I don't feel as confident in curves as I did with the Pilots. They were rock solid in turns and the Metz do have a different feel as you go around a corner.

Tire wear seems good so far. I got really good mileage from all 3 sets of Pilots. I hope for similar results from the Metz as the tires were on par for cost.

Always trust your cape.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkynrk View Post
As I understand it, a good quality sport tour tire is always going to grip better and feel more confidence inspiring on pavement because of the greater grip, stability and optimization for that environment. Tires like the Michelin PR4, Pirelli Angel GT and Metzeler Roadtec 08 and soon to be released Metzeler Roadtec 01.

Adventure class tires (90/10) like the Tourance Next and Pirelli Scorpion basically trade off a slight bit of on pavement feel and grip for better off pavement traction with deeper treads. If you always ride corners at the posted speed limit you'll probably never notice the reduced grip. They have better dirt road grip when new but as the tread wears away may not offer much improvement in off road traction compared to a sport tour tire, or it least that was my experience with the first generation Scorpion.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-24-2016 at 10:36 AM.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 10:54 AM

Garage
^^ thanks. I do all my high speed corning on the track so most of my road riding tends be be pretty sedate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode