Anybody Use Fork Lowering Springs? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Anybody Use Fork Lowering Springs?

I did a search and did not find what I was looking for.

I plan on lowering my 2009 Versys. I want to strip off the bodywork and add bars closer to the top triple. Maybe go with a round headlight.

*Rather than deal with changing the forks, I have heard of fork lowering spring kits but don't have experience with them, especially on the Versys. I don't ride off road so I can go with less fork travel. (I'll deal with the rear later).

Does anybody have these on their Versys? If so, what brand did you go with?
If so, have the fork action improved with a quality fork oil and the proper springs for your weight, even though shorter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post

I plan on lowering my 2009 Versys. I want to strip off the bodywork and add bars closer to the top triple. Maybe go with a round headlight.

*Rather than deal with changing the forks, I have heard of fork lowering spring kits but don't have experience with them, especially on the Versys. I don't ride off road so I can go with less fork travel. (I'll deal with the rear later).

If so, have the fork action improved with a quality fork oil and the proper springs for your weight, even though shorter?
I had the Hyperpro progressive lowering fork springs put in by the local Hyperpro dealer, EPM, who happens to be not far from me in NJ. Klaus is the man, he can ship you what you need, but you'd need someone local to install if you don't do that yourself. I looked at the directions, I'm not sure the spring length is actually shorter (Klaus could tell you), but the instructions tell how much to raise the forks in the triples, as part of the lowering involves raising the forks some.

He also ordered the lowering shock spring. Both are said to lower the bike by 30mm. However, the tolerances on the shock weren't right for some reason, so Klaus worked with me to find a shock spring that lowered the bike a bit (based on sag). We tried a couple. I think my bike is lowered maybe an inch. The rear shock is also a progressive spring. (I'm not a huge fan of progressive suspension, as it can't be set up like linear, but for the street it's fine}.

The ride with the hyperpro springs is much improved! Stock, the bike just didn't feel planted. With the new springs, it feels much, much better. A good improvement, I didn't want to spend money on an aftermarket shock at this point, so swapping the spring in the rear shock made a nice improvement for less money.

Besides Hyperpro, I think Penske makes a lowering shock, too.

Note: progressive springs aren't made for your weight, per se, like linear springs. Klaus worked to get the right sag numbers, that's why we played around with the rear. First one lowered me 1.5 inches, but I was on max preload. Next try worked great. The lowering is accomplished by sag. Another thing we had to play with was ensuring the undertail didn't come in contact with the hugger I'd installed. The first softer spring allowed too much sag and hit the hugger. Just another thing to consider...

Last edited by HondaGalToo; 06-17-2016 at 10:06 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipco View Post

On my '08 V - I put on a lowering link in the rear, and in the front I lowered the triple clamps about 7/8" (as far as it would go), and I took out all the preload on the stock fork springs, and upped the rebound damping all the way, then backed out 1/4 turn. Stock fork oil (original). These changes worked well for me. I weigh 180 lbs, 99% pavement riding. Taking out all the preload lowered it more, but I'm not sure by how much. The bike handles fine this way.

This winter, I plan to change the fork oil to something heavier, and maybe to a higher level in the fork.

I put on lower and more forward handlebars, because I like to be closer to the windscreen - where there is less buffeting, and it feels better when riding the twisties. I eventually plan to go with a round headlight (too), Er-N fuel tank, café/naked bike look, with maybe clip-on handlebars, etc. The Er-N tank should allow me to use even lower and more forward handlebars, without interference from the tank side/fairings, which would be removed.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

That is heading me in the right direction. I have 33" inseam so the height isn't a problem. I just want a lower more stripped down bike to use as a backroad burner. I enjoy a nice suspension, the Versys has enough power for the roads I ride. Some forward lean on the bars will help.
Also, cost and headache are a consideration. I want to see if I can make the stock forks work.
I already have Speedy's lowering link in the back and I can only raise the forks up another 1/2 inch before I run out of flat space on the fork legs.
Before I bought the Versys in 2009, I sat on an er6n and it seemed to small for me but I want to head my Versys in that direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode