2015/16 crash bars - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2015/16 crash bars

I am considering a set of bars for my '15 but from what I can tell, the SW Moto crash bars for the 2015/16 are different than the '14 & prior. appears they do not have that lower wrap around bar, only the upper one. is that true? if so.... how well does that work? I have doubt.

the Hepco/Becker look pretty good....

what about the Chezk ones on fleabay?

anything else out there? looking for performance & am interested in any experiences.... especially those that have been "tested"

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 PM

Garage
can you please put links on the bars you are talking? im interested to see them.

GL - HF
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2016, 10:35 PM

I tried to purchase a couple of different kinds on-line but they were out of stock, so I bought the Kawasaki brand "sliders" I think they are okay, better than generic sliders but not quite crash bars. They have two steel stand-off bars and seem sturdy, maybe a bit overpriced.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Kawasaki Versys 650 2015 Engine Guard Crash Frame Black Protector Rdmoto Europe | eBay

Hepco & Becker Engine Guard for Kawsaki Versys 650 '15-

SW-MOTECH Crash Bars ..... none listed for 2015/6... confused

are there others? (forget the Russian one)

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?

Last edited by Beezerboy; 03-25-2016 at 12:53 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 09:27 AM

RDMoto are the only ones I've found which wrap the lower part of the engine. All the other brands only protect the upper areas, but imho those areas are not at risk. The handle bars will keep the upper areas away from the ground. The lower part of the engine is probably pretty safe on pavement, too, actually. The little nib on the bottom side of the foot peg contacts the ground, as does the end of the handle bar. Everything in between is off the ground.

If the foot peg comes off in a slide, now there's some risk to the lower engine.

Or, if you're on dirt or a rough trail, the uneven surface can penetrate through to the engine. But again I don't see the upper parts being at risk. Your turn signal sticking out is the biggest problem in any tip over or slide because it sticks out past that line from foot peg to handle bar. I've dropped my '15 twice at zero mph. Once in the garage, once in a parking lot. (Nobody here knows me, so I can admit this without too much embarrassment). Both times the front turn signal hit the ground and cracked the fairing piece it attaches to. I've replaced the front signals with R&G micro LED signals. One time the factory luggage boxes were attached, the other time not.

Sliders which attach at that mid point in the frame may be quite adequate to protect the engine in a drop or slide on pavement. Bars wrapping the upper area won't add any protection imho.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM

In UK, Gen 3 owners are putting on HB crash guards AND centerstands! What a deal. An oem quality centerstand and a crash guard that will protect your bike in all situations. Gen 3 owners are lucky. And their HB skid plates are $50 cheaper than the Gen 2 ones you have to wait a month to get
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:43 PM

I have the H&B crash bars and I'm really happy with them. I don't have anything to compare them with so I can't say whether they're any better or worse than other brands. They certainly look like they'll provide plenty of protection if/when needed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fly.... you are confirming my suspicions, especially "turn signal sticking out is the biggest problem".

not thinking of this bike as an off road, I have others for that. it will definitely be doing gravel road & 2 track, probably some easy single track, but don't see where a skid plate will be required.

I haven't laid it over yet but it is pretty obvious the blinkers are vulnerable, and maybe some of the cowl. was thinking the HBs and weld another loop on just below the blinker

thanks for the input guys, anybody else "tested" the various crash bars?

Last edited by Beezerboy; 03-25-2016 at 02:16 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Garage
hey Fly.... when you swapped the R&G micro LED signals, did you have to change the flasher? tnx

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
Fly.... you are confirming my suspicions, especially "turn signal sticking out is the biggest problem".

not thinking of this bike as an off road, I have others for that. it will definitely be doing gravel road & 2 track, probably some easy single track, but don't see where a skid plate will be required.

I haven't laid it over yet but it is pretty obvious the blinkers are vulnerable, and maybe some of the cowl. was thinking the HBs and weld another loop on just below the blinker

thanks for the input guys, anybody else "tested" the various crash bars?
Not if you have HB crash guards. It's just a spot of Walmart Rustolieum spray paint on your crash guards for $3.50 (good for many falls) and you're ready to rock.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
got pix Mr Dog? I want to believe.

how about the turn signal? still has to change right?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
hey Fly.... when you swapped the R&G micro LED signals, did you have to change the flasher? tnx
No but I did install load resistors. R&G sells them and they plug right in. I bought an adapter which goes from the Kawasaki connector to the bullet style connectors, then plugged in the resistors and signals. It is detailed in this thread Added: radiator guard, front axle sliders, R&G micro turn signals
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...thanks for the input guys, anybody else "tested" the various crash bars?
Yes.

Tested the H-B bars on my '08 in a 20 mph low-side. The shifter got bent, but the paint damage to the bars was fixed w/ 6" of electricians tape.

Tested the S-W Motechs on the '09 when I crashed on the Dempster Hwy an hour S of Inuvik. They protected the bike VERY well, altho' my left saddle-bag was torn off. ANOTHER 6" of tape would have repaired the paint, but the bike was 'written-off'....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 03-27-2016 at 12:21 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks Eddie... the HBs for '15 look totally different from the '07/09, but if anything, they might be better. near as I can tell SW Moto don't have one for the '15 yet. in any case, the signal still looks like it sticks out too far. still ponderin'....

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
thanks Eddie... the HBs for '15 look totally different from the '07/09, but if anything, they might be better. near as I can tell SW Moto don't have one for the '15 yet. in any case, the signal still looks like it sticks out too far. still ponderin'....
SW-MOTECH Crash Bars Engine Guards for Kawasaki Versys 650 LT & ABS '15-'16 | TwistedThrottle.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode