Tank Bags - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Tank Bags

I've got a couple of long trips planned for this spring and summer..and find myself in need of a good tank bag...Whatcha all got..why do you like it? I was leaning towards the Givi tank-lock bags..but have heard of some problems..ooohh nooo...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 AM

Tank Bags

I personally prefer magnetic tank bags. Used several (have 3 now) and have never had a problem nor a scratched tank. Mine all work well on the Versys and my cruiser.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 02:59 AM

Garage
Givi 20 litre tank lock only problem with it is glare, which I'm guessing any tank bag with a map pocket will do.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I looked at some tank bags on the weekend.
On Monday when I was picking up a replacement Visor, the shop dude allowed me to take some Givi's to my bike to see it that can fit.

I also like the Givi tank lock system (never had a tank bag) also like the SW-Motec system.

Anyway I have Rox 2" riser bars pointing in the same direction as the steering rake.
I also have rotated my bars back towards me for better wrist angle which really reduced my wrist pain.

I really like the Givi 3D604 and the XS307.
Problem is I cannot mount them as I loose a lot of steering lock - which is handy as I commute.
not great.

Points about the bags I noticed.
3D604 is good and slimmer than the XS307.
604 you can probably flip the top map pocket over so as the clear plastic does not glare you out - oh and the fact that it is fully removable not like the 307.
I cannot remember which bag has more ring mounting adjustment under the bag... think it was the 604.
307 side and back pockets are useless will only fit a small candy/protein bar at most.
Zippers are easier to use on the 604 as the firm shell holds the zipper in place, on the 307 the sides flop around a bit.

might have to look at a magnetic tank bag. Saw a nice motodry one at another shop last weekend. But did not test it for fit as I was more interested at looking at the Givi's.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 AM

I have the Cortech 2.0 18-liter magnetic bag. It fits well and sticks like glue to the tank.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by E327 View Post
I personally prefer magnetic tank bags. Used several (have 3 now) and have never had a problem nor a scratched tank....
Me too. Here's a pic of the tank-bags (one each in AZ and BC...) I use:

They are "T-BAGS" brand, magnetic w/ a strap to attach around the handle-bar mounts, and they hold a pretty good amount of stuff.

I ONLY use them for long rides....

- v

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 02:02 PM

i got the Kawi OEM tank bag from an inmate here ... like it a lot !
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 PM

Magnetic tank bags are great - if you have a steel tank and no plastic panels attached to it, which will interfere with most magnetic tank bags. Unfortunately for this reason most magnetic tank bags do not work well on the Versys. I had to sell my Cortech tank bag as it would not stay attached to the Versys due to the plastic panels on the sides of the tank interfering.

The SW Motech "City" tank bag is often recommended. I have a generic $15 Cycle Gear tank strap mounted bag. It performs as well and looks as good as a $30 tank bag - which is to say it sorta works and does not fall off the bike frequently, and is not a bad value at $15 because of this, but don't expect to be anything like a $200 SW-Motech tank bag.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-20-2016 at 10:27 PM.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 PM

Garage
I have the Givi tank ring system with the 4L tankbag I like it a lot. It's great for holding the things you need to get at on long trips. The quicklock system is great it snaps right on and off. I do not typically commute with it because I would worry about it being taken while it was parked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank bag.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	78729  

Yellow 2012 Kawasaki Versys:
Russel Day Long Seat
Barkbusters Hand Guards
Oxford Heated Grips
R&G Racing sidestand foot
SW Motech Quick Lock EVO Side carriers
SW Motech Alurack top rack
Givi Quicklock tankring
Givi 4L Tankbag
2 Givi Trekker 33's
Givi Trekker 46
post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiereaper5 View Post
I have the Givi tank ring system with the 4L tankbag I like it a lot. It's great for holding the things you need to get at on long trips. The quicklock system is great it snaps right on and off. I do not typically commute with it because I would worry about it being taken while it was parked.
+1 I have the same bag, use it as a glove box for all those little things. I'm thinking about getting a larger tank lock bag for those extended trips we all love.
Zombiereaper5 likes this.
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:47 PM

Garage
Not a fan of big bulky tank bags. This one is perfect for me on the V or FJR. Magnetic and never had any issues no matter what speeds i hit...Heres ya go.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/Givi-Bitchin...RUk7V3&vxp=mtr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-21-2016 at 12:52 PM.
post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 02:48 PM

I picked up the Rapid Recon Transit 19 after having it recommended by a friend with a Versys. It's a magnetic bag, I just tuck the wings sorta under the bag a little bit and it's never been anything but perfectly secure, even very full.

It DID scratch my tank, however that was my own dumb fault. I set the bag down on my boat where I had done some metal work, and it picked up some bb sized bits of metal, and then pulling the bag off the tank scratched it---although I suspect it's repairable without some buffing.

I prefer magnetic because yanking it off for fillups or just leaving the bike is super easy. The Recon also comes with shoulder straps should you elect to use them.

I got the bag new and unused from ebay for $50 shipped, if you're not using ebay for these things, you're missing out.

post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post

I prefer magnetic because yanking it off for fillups or just leaving the bike is super easy. The Recon also comes with shoulder straps should you elect to use them.
Taking my Givi tanklock bag off takes less than a second I would bet it comes off just as fast as any magnetic bag.

Yellow 2012 Kawasaki Versys:
Russel Day Long Seat
Barkbusters Hand Guards
Oxford Heated Grips
R&G Racing sidestand foot
SW Motech Quick Lock EVO Side carriers
SW Motech Alurack top rack
Givi Quicklock tankring
Givi 4L Tankbag
2 Givi Trekker 33's
Givi Trekker 46
post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Magnetic tank bags are great - if you have a steel tank and no plastic panels attached to it, which will interfere with most magnetic tank bags.
you can easily glue some magnets or magnetic plates to the inside of the plastic fairing to solve this problem.
Smiley likes this.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:16 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
you can easily glue some magnets or magnetic plates to the inside of the plastic fairing to solve this problem.
i have no problem with my magnetic bag on my tank (i just centered the magnets

tank bags
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1435433436687.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	78817  

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:46 AM

You can barely duck behind a tall windshield on a Vs. 650 with NO tank bag: forget wind-drafting advantages of leaning over with any tank bag. Tank bags are not for motorcycling. ymmv
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
You can barely duck behind a tall windshield on a Vs. 650 with NO tank bag: forget wind-drafting advantages of leaning over with any tank bag. Tank bags are not for motorcycling. ymmv
what you talking about, its a pillow for you to lay your head on
and you really think your fat head is catching more wind then the sail givi sells us to put on the front?

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
what you talking about, its a pillow for you to lay your head on
and you really think your fat head is catching more wind then the sail givi sells us to put on the front?
It's ok for hard-core, do nothing but tour riders, full-time commuters, or Shriners, like you. I just ride all bikes the same way, the way motorcycles were meant to ride on the streets. That's why I prefer the vertical twins or singles for the handling, if I can afford my preference. The Vs. 650 is a gift from Kawasaki, and I'd never ruin it with a tank bag. ymmv
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 11:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Tank bags are not for motorcycling.
So exactly what are they for, tanks? You better inform all the manufacturers, as they are obviously mistaken as to the purpose of motorcycle tank bags. I'm certain that they will be thankful for your wisdom and will probably issue massive recalls.
onewizard and MaverickAus like this.
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'd never ruin it with a tank bag. ymmv
Ruin? That's pretty strong, don't you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode