Tank Bags - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
this isn't the exact route..but it a city to city of the route we're taking...the road master is from those areas and loves the back roads...2200 miles...I'm wondering where we're adjusting our chains at...

[/url]
I usually use my trip B setting for lubing the chain, every 300 miles / 500 kilometers. As to chain adjustment, I find about every 3000 miles / 5000 KM---one thing, I have a 16 tooth front so more surface area on the chain and less torque , about 6 % less. I don't pull the front end up all the time but frequently hit 8 to 10 K on the tack, I have both Givi 35 and Givi 45 top case, use to weigh in at 215.Plus carry at least a additional 10 Lbs in the cases.

Two things, don't make the chain slack too tight, also make sure your chain is straight I use Motion Pro 08-0048 Chain Alignment Tool-- which can be used for either the top of the chain ( chain guard side) or the bottom of the chain ( which is what I do). Lube your chain regularly, I use Dupont chainsaver or multi-use lub, spray it on then wipe the chain---then ride.

lots of opinions on lub--WD-40 --I was informed by Smiley that lubing right after a ride works better. I have a problem with that-- I am usually late getting back to the ranch, I don't want to be left out of the meal plan and it is a good meal plan

Last edited by onewizard; 01-24-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
this thread is about Tank Bags..not some beef you have with WHOEVER...please remove..aka edit..this posting from my thread...thank you...

there, edited mine

but I can't edit your posting for you

Last edited by kohburn; 01-25-2016 at 06:58 AM.
post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
It has a rain cover that keeps everything absolutely dry..
I don't generally like the rain covers, tent to be lose and flap in he wind.

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:36 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
I don't generally like the rain covers, tent to be lose and flap in he wind.
Mine is very heavy duty. It wraps around and under the bag with a strong elastic that keeps it tight. Never flaps around. I only use it in a heavy downpour as the bag repels light rain.
post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
I don't generally like the rain covers,
i dont use mine, i just ride faster

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post

If I were to purchase another tank bag it would be along the lines of what eddie has here. I purchased a simple magnetic Bell Tank Bag from another forum member and it works great. It has a strap that goes around the handle bar and I've never worried about it coming off.

I have no idea why a tank bag wouldn't be designed for motorcycles. I'm young and agile and have no difficulty swinging my leg over a tail bag or if a top case rides forward a little. I just cartwheel flip on the bike every time because I'm so enthused to ride!!

But seriously, tank bags save less agile people from imminent doom. I find it practical to have your phone, maps, battery pack, soda, coffee, whatever the hell you want really to be right there in front of you. You don't have to get off the bike or twist your back to reach in a tail bag to get your things. All in all, I find tank bags 100% useful and 200% motorcycle worthy.
OKJohn likes this.

14 Kawasaki Versys 650 ABS (kawi green)

Last edited by 1stversys; 01-25-2016 at 09:07 AM.
post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i dont use mine, i just ride faster
I only use it if parked - but plan to make a new tank bag from the same drybag material as my other bike bags (dryspec) and use waterproof zippers and power pass-through bulkheads
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
I only use it if parked - but plan to make a new tank bag from the same drybag material as my other bike bags (dryspec) and use waterproof zippers and power pass-through bulkheads
when making it leave 1-2" flap on the top part of the zip as an overhang and you wont need "waterproof" zips" (if that makes sence i know i suck at describing things) and stitch a peace of wire inside the end were it doubles over to thicken it up so it cant get cought in the zip (worlds biggest pain in the arse)

post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
when making it leave 1-2" flap on the top part of the zip as an overhang and you wont need "waterproof" zips" (if that makes sence i know i suck at describing things) and stitch a peace of wire inside the end were it doubles over to thicken it up so it cant get cought in the zip (worlds biggest pain in the arse)
I ride in the rain enough that storm flaps over plain zippers are enough to stop water from wicking in. but a storm flap over the cheaper "rainproof" zippers works a treat. no need for the airtight dive suit zippers that are like 10$ per inch.
post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
I ride in the rain enough that storm flaps over plain zippers are enough to stop water from wicking in. but a storm flap over the cheaper "rainproof" zippers works a treat. no need for the airtight dive suit zippers that are like 10$ per inch.
oh ok i thought you were talking about the over priced ones to start with

post #51 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
this thread is about Tank Bags..not some beef you have with WHOEVER...please remove..aka edit..this posting from my thread...thank you...

Looks like common sense has returned

Your turn

If you want to move the chain post to a new thread, I can copy, paste/ delete--your call

Last edited by onewizard; 01-25-2016 at 01:56 PM.
post #52 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
Looks like common sense has returned

Your turn

If you want to move the chain post to a new thread, I can copy, paste/ delete--your call
everything seems to have settled down...well in this thread at least...
thanks to all of those involved...
post #53 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:00 PM
BKP

I have a Givi Tank Lock XS308. I'd buy it again.
Got rid of the dumbass, useless map holder on top, as well as the forward shoulder strap (cut it off). Now it's perfect. Holds *lots* of gear, that you want to access quickly, is not intuitively easy to pull off the bike by someone not familiar with it (but takes 2 nanoseconds to unlock it, and even less time to pop it back on securely).
I rode 3-1/2 hours back from the Dragon last year, in a whipping downpour the entire way, and the rain cover didn't budge, and the tank bag remained bone dry.
The bag (at first) appears large, if you're not used to it... however, I've been riding with it a *long* time, and it couldn't imagine not having it... Just too convenient.
onewizard likes this.

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #54 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 07:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
I have a Givi Tank Lock XS308. Got rid of the dumbass, useless map holder on top, as well as the forward shoulder strap (cut it off).
The map holder(s) are fine on mine, clear and waterproof. They could be wider but that would mean an even wider tank bag. I can't complain as most provincial/state maps show at least 2 hours of riding before I need to re-fold the map. Depending on scale, one panel will outlast my bladder, my need to stretch, sore arse, or pausing to view the actual landscape I am riding through.

I still love maps. I like to look at maps each night on a trip and plan where to go tomorrow. That route is flexible, as it should be, but I have the big picture on the map whereas bike-sized GPS screens are to restrictive in area. I know the benefits of GPS but I'd still carry a map on my tank bag even if I owned GPS. I have a cell phone too.

I'll try to take photos over next day or two of bag w/map on tank.
onewizard likes this.
post #55 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

[quote=1stversys;1052505... I find it practical to have your phone, maps, battery pack, soda, coffee, whatever the hell you want really to be right there in front of you. You don't have to get off the bike or twist your back to reach in a tail bag to get your things. All in all, I find tank bags 100% useful and 200% motorcycle worthy.[/QUOTE]

If you look at the pic w/ the silver tank-bag on BIG RED - the zippered right-side bit is where I carry my generic lemon pledge and a rag for cleaning my face-shield, and toffees in the left-side one...!

Quote:
...I still love maps. I like to look at maps each night on a trip and plan where to go tomorrow. That route is flexible, as it should be, but I have the big picture on the map whereas bike-sized GPS screens are to restrictive in area. I know the benefits of GPS but I'd still carry a map on my tank bag even if I owned GPS....
Each night on my long rides I go over the maps then set the map-pocket up for the morning, before I get into my sleeping-bag. I trust my GPS, but that's BECAUSE I know where I'm going....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #56 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stversys View Post
... I find it practical to have your phone, maps, battery pack, soda, coffee, whatever the hell you want really to be right there in front of you. You don't have to get off the bike or twist your back to reach in a tail bag to get your things. All in all, I find tank bags 100% useful and 200% motorcycle worthy.
If you look at the pic w/ the silver tank-bag on BIG RED - the zippered right-side bit is where I carry my generic lemon pledge and a rag for cleaning my face-shield, and toffees in the left-side one...!

Quote:
...I still love maps. I like to look at maps each night on a trip and plan where to go tomorrow. That route is flexible, as it should be, but I have the big picture on the map whereas bike-sized GPS screens are to restrictive in area. I know the benefits of GPS but I'd still carry a map on my tank bag even if I owned GPS....
Each night on my long rides I go over the maps then set the map-pocket up for the morning, before I get into my sleeping-bag. I trust my GPS, but that's BECAUSE I know where I'm going....

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

post #57 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-26-2016, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

T-BAGS tank bags (magnetic)

Here's a few pics of the bags I have for each of my Vs, and they HAVE been tested on long-range trips....

I can carry quite a lot, besides my 'lunch-for-the-day', in there.
onewizard and kohburn like this.

Ed

..)

post #58 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 11:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
... I carry my generic lemon pledge and a rag for cleaning my face-shield, ...

Are you using pledge for the face sheild ?

Does it streaks ?

LOP
post #59 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:00 AM
BKP

Quote:
The map holder(s) are fine on mine, clear and waterproof. They could be wider but that would mean an even wider tank bag....
Not sure if you're talking about the same tank bag as I have. Mine, the XS308 (Givi), has *two* map pockets: one, a larger, wider, one sits on top of the bag itself. Underneath that, the top of the bag itself is a clear map pocket. I was referring to the larger, detachable one, in the pic below, which requires you to detach it, to access the bag (reduces the access speed/effectiveness on the road). The integrated map pocket is fine. The rain cover itself has a clear top, so the map within is still visible with the rain cover on.
I completely agree about having a map with you... Having the GPS go down in the middle of a road trip is not all that uncommon...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #60 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
I have a Givi Tank Lock XS308. I'd buy it again.
Got rid of the dumbass, useless map holder on top, as well as the forward shoulder strap (cut it off). Now it's perfect. Holds *lots* of gear, that you want to access quickly, is not intuitively easy to pull off the bike by someone not familiar with it (but takes 2 nanoseconds to unlock it, and even less time to pop it back on securely).
I rode 3-1/2 hours back from the Dragon last year, in a whipping downpour the entire way, and the rain cover didn't budge, and the tank bag remained bone dry.
The bag (at first) appears large, if you're not used to it... however, I've been riding with it a *long* time, and it couldn't imagine not having it... Just too convenient.
BKP,

What part or Atlanta, GA are you at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode