Tank Bags - Page 2 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications
Sponsored by: LeoVince USA

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdog View Post
You can barely duck behind a tall windshield on a Vs. 650 with NO tank bag: forget wind-drafting advantages of leaning over with any tank bag. Tank bags are not for motorcycling. ymmv
Quote:
It's ok for hard-core, do nothing but tour riders, full-time commuters, or Shriners, like you. I just ride all bikes the same way, the way motorcycles were meant to ride on the streets.
you say some of the strangest things.

you must be shorter than me because at 6'3" I can tuck and have my chest resting on the tank bag and my helmet almost hitting the handle bar. it is never in the way. I ride almost every single day on narrow curvy roads and use a tank bag more often than any other cargo option (I've got top bags, saddle bags, backpacks) and the tank bag is the most convenient and least intrusive to the motorcycling experience. the only time I ride differently than how I ride on road is when I ride off road.

or is this more about your slip streaming aerodynamics for top speed runs in half chaps?
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:36 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
It's ok for hard-core, do nothing but tour riders, full-time commuters, or Shriners, like you. I just ride all bikes the same way, the way motorcycles were meant to ride on the streets. That's why I prefer the vertical twins or singles for the handling, if I can afford my preference. The Vs. 650 is a gift from Kawasaki, and I'd never ruin it with a tank bag. ymmv
thats why my bags magnetic, it comes off just as easy as i do so it isnt "ruin" anything, and I use my bikes on (and off) the street like they were meant to be, as a vehicle to haul my lazy cripple ass and what ever i need / want to haul to where ever i need to go quicker and easier then the people in the big fox killing boxes , as long as it does that everything else is just a bonus
onewizard and scutrbrau like this.

yes im a guy. and i have a husband
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 01-22-2016 at 01:39 PM.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
^^lol i know right?
Quote:
you must be shorter than me because at 6'3" I can tuck and have my chest resting on the tank bag and my helmet almost hitting the handle bar. it is never in the way. I ride almost every single day on narrow curvy roads and use a tank bag more often than any other cargo option (I've got top bags, saddle bags, backpacks) and the tank bag is the most convenient and least intrusive to the motorcycling experience. the only time I ride differently than how I ride on road is when I ride off road.

or is this more about your slip streaming aerodynamics for top speed runs in half chaps?
same here, tho im down to 6'2 now , and if i wanna try to duck down i find sitting up on the passanger seat helps, i also almost always ride with a back pack and sylvester has the trunk box, and i dont seem to have any "drag issues"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	108.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	78825  
onewizard likes this.

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 01:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
It's ok for hard-core, do nothing but tour riders, full-time commuters, or Shriners, like you. I just ride all bikes the same way, the way motorcycles were meant to ride on the streets.
Just wtf are you trying to say? Are riders who tour not using their bikes properly? And off-road riders are also wrong?

"The Vs. 650 is a gift from Kawasaki" That is strange too, I had to pay for mine.
Maybe it's time to get your meds adjusted, kdog.
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post

you must be shorter than me because at 6'3" I can tuck and have my chest resting on the tank bag and my helmet almost hitting the handle bar. it is never in the way.
Got any pics? I thought you were a bowl of jello and wore bro-ziers.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-23-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: This pic is one of mine, and NOT of whoever you are trying to show. PLEASE do not do that again!
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 07:26 PM

Garage
[quote=kawdog;1050945]Got any pics? I thought you were a bowl of jello and wore bro-ziers.

Really? Dude, chill out.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-23-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: kawdog was IMPROPERLY using one of MY pics!
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Got any pics? I thought you were a bowl of jello and wore bro-ziers.
the things you say make about as much sense as these people

Last edited by kohburn; 01-25-2016 at 06:49 AM. Reason: was asked to edit
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 02:59 AM

Edited out Kohbun's copied post (AKA JDrocks, onewizard, ...)

Last edited by kawdog; 01-25-2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Edited out Kohbun's copied post (AKA JDrocks, onewizard, ...)
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Twisted Throttle

This summer I decided to try a tank bag on my 07 Versys----heard some rave reviews on threads like this----well I am happy to report that I use it every day I ride, and wish I had purchased it sooner.

SW-MOTECH Bags-Connection Non-Electric QUICK-LOCK EVO GS Tankbag

This thread started out as tank bags, generally people ask questions to try and make informed decisions on what to buy and where as well as the best price. Something like the Versys, the reason this forum exists, which generally is the purpose of this forum, to help others and share knowledge / experience.

Recently we have had a select few make some negative comments, attempting to derail the thread--fortunately we have free speech----what I do is give some thought before I post--and many times I read my post as if I was another member just coming upon the post, immediately after,I hit edit and change it or delete it.

Just a suggestion---try and treat others the way you expect others to treat you

Smiley, silviefox and scutrbrau like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 01-25-2016 at 02:40 PM.
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post

Just a suggestion---try and treat others the way you expect others to treat you

EAT A BAG OF DICKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[*edit*] ya lets all be friends[/*edit*]

onewizard likes this.

post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - I removed one of my pics (of me w/ jdrocks) from a post by kawdog because the pic had ABSOLUTELY NO connection to whatever he was posting, and I do NOT condone misuse of my images!

onewizard, Smiley and silviefox like this.

Ed

'08 V - BIG RED - AZ, '15 V650LT - the GREEN HORNET TOO - BC, and ('09 V - the GREEN HORNET - recently deceased..
..)

My Versys trip to D2D 2013, June '13

My Versys trip to D2D 2015, June '15

My Versys trip to D2D 2016, June '16

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 12:22 PM

Garage
I've had a Givi Voyager Bag (magnetic) for many moons now. My V is the third bike I've had it on and it is perfect for my use. It is a two piece bag, the bottom part being the smallest and is great for day trips. It zips to the top part and both the top and bottom have a large map cover. The top expands even higher if needed, perfect for long trips. When expanded it gives a lot of wind protection from below shoulders to waist.

It has a rain cover that keeps everything absolutely dry. I rode through a rain storm of monsoon proportions, water a foot deep on the road, but the bag was not even damp.

No model number on the bag but a google search shows the 410N to be the closest match. 22 to 33 litre capacity. No longer in Givi catalogue but there are new similar models. I highly recommend Givi bags.
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-23-2016, 09:36 PM

I have the Motocentric magnetic tank bag. It works great and is reasonably priced:

MotoCentric Mototrek 7 Tank Bag - Motorcycle Superstore

Oh, and please don't confuse me with the other kawdog.
onewizard and kohburn like this.

Last edited by kawdawg; 01-23-2016 at 09:45 PM.
post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawdawg View Post
I have the Motocentric magnetic tank bag. It works great and is reasonably priced:

MotoCentric Mototrek 7 Tank Bag - Motorcycle Superstore

Oh, and please don't confuse me with the other kawdog.
I have tried a couple of types of tank bags. For me, they worked great for touring, but the magnet ones scratched the tank (a lot more waxing is required than I like to do), I could not lean on my tank (which I like to do over 55 mph if possible, but some tanks it would prop you up nicely - not on the Vs. 650 for me), and the laced up tank bags were a hassle removing when it rained or for security downtown. That's just my opinion and my experience. I always like my bike as striped down as possible to enjoy the enhanced handling by moving around as much as possible when required (for safety and enjoyment.)
onewizard likes this.

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 01-24-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Comments denigrating other members are NOT appropriate.
post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 12:47 AM

Garage
just guessing

this must be what kawdog thinks we all have as tank bags
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0000-Cortech-Tribag-Magnetic-Tank-Bag-Black.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	78873  
kohburn likes this.

post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

this isn't the exact route..but it a city to city of the route we're taking...the road master is from those areas and loves the back roads...2200 miles...I'm wondering where we're adjusting our chains at...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port...45.5230622!3e0
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
That bag would block my vision, plus I wouldn't know I was speeding, except by my GPS.
isnt that an excuse for once you get pulled over?

post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:40 AM

Garage
Quote:
I really don't know what he thinks, we all get a little bantering, this was a friendly and informative site-- people poke fun at me and I return it--at the end of the day, no matter who it is, if I can help, I will, just don't threaten or call me names---I have 66 years of wisdom

Well to be honest, I thought it would be a PITA to gas up, the first time it wasn't latched right and came off just as I was pulling away from the gas pump. I keep my camera, my phone, a quick lunch and water bottle plus some cash all in the bag. It deflects some of the wind coming off the windshield that went over the tank. After having the bike since 08, adding the tank bag this summer made the riding that much more enjoyable.
Because it was what they call late in the season (July) I had a hard time finding anything in stock, went to Twisted Throttle and got my bag there====no regrets!
agree 110%

post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 07:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadams66 View Post
this isn't the exact route..but it a city to city of the route we're taking...the road master is from those areas and loves the back roads...2200 miles...I'm wondering where we're adjusting our chains at...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port...45.5230622!3e0
looks like it will be a fun ride and hit me up if you wanna borrow my tank bag BTW

post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-24-2016, 01:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
It's ok for hard-core, do nothing but tour riders, full-time commuters, or Shriners, like you...
couple of things for the record...

we happen to like those Shriner dudes, can't argue with those two dozen hospitals.

secondly, all the jdrocks riders use the Wolfman Denali tank bag, and we do mean all of us, every single one, seriously, we ain't kiddin' one bit, it's a consensus of opinion among us. there are so many jdrocks out there now, in spirit or otherwise, that we have no problem organizing group rides. come one, come all, ride with us.

after several untimely experiments, we got away from magnetic tank bags when we found out that the tank bag and bike could go in opposite directions when the bike hit the ground. inconvenient if one of us jdrocks riders happened to carry the sat locator in the map pocket on the tank bag, or if the tank bag ended up in the creek, bounced over a cliff, or rolled out into the tundra. plenty of circumstances where we might have difficulty even finding the freakin' thing without a search. the jdrocks crew ain't got time for no damn search, keep that thing strapped to the bike. that's what we recommend.
onewizard, Smiley and silviefox like this.

Last edited by jdrocks; 01-24-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode